It’s amazing to think that the best day of my life happened 15 months & 1 day before I even took my first breath. The faceless woman who labored to bring my husband into this world 50 years ago today didn’t have him in her plan, but his Father in heaven sure did!!! And the world is a better place for His gift...
From the Greek name Θεοδωρος (Theodoros), which meant "gift of God".
I take him for granted way too often, but today I am just missing him terribly and sharing this tribute.
: a person who is admired for great or brave acts or fine qualities
: a person who is greatly admired
: the chief male character in a story, play, movie, etc.
A hero or heroine refers to characters who, in the face of danger and adversity or from a position of weakness, display courage and the will for self-sacrifice—that is, heroism—for some greater good of all humanity. Wikipedia
By all definitions, you see, my sentiments are absolutely TRUE.
In the aftermath of the recession & a forced career shift, he chose not to seek his own wealth and happiness, but the path of helping others who were in greater need than he had ever imagined.
He has worked tirelessly on behalf of at-risk children and families for over 3 years now in Haiti and his shoulder is at the plow still as he follows the path his Father has laid out for him, abroad. It isn’t easy, but it IS making a difference.
He wouldn’t see it this way, but the sacrifices that he makes every day are astounding.
At this very moment he is making several:
- He is working 40-60 hours a week under the Haitian sun overseeing countless projects that are slowly changing the landscape of poverty, everything from fish hatcheries, to schools, a special needs orphanage, medication distribution and more are under his eye at the moment.
- He is caring for a sweet & spunky 6 year old, who adores her papa.
- He remains in Haiti, while I am away tending our big kids' needs.
- He’s dealing with an extended separation with the needs of many others in mind, but primarily for the sake of processing the adoption of his youngest child.
- He is providing the physical & emotional support, for me to start midwifery school in a few weeks. All the while, with the future of Haitian nurses, midwives, and the precious LIVES of mothers & their babies in mind.
- He drives to school, grocery shops, pumps water to flow through our house, keeps electricity running, attends parent/teacher conferences, medical appointments, and even does LAUNDRY…
I know for a fact, there are things he does, that I never know about, to help make our lives possible there and to promote the well-being of others.
I LOVE and admire this man!!!!
It feels so miniscule to only be able to offer this tribute on such a MONUMENTAL day…and from afar.
Please join me today in THANKING GOD, in CELEBRATION and by offering words of joy & encouragement to MY HERO…my husband.
HAPPY 50th BIRTHDAY, Ted Barlow!!!!
I LOVE YOU and am so BLESSED by you…
I hope and pray to share the second "half of a century" more walking the journey and adventures of this world with you!